Cryptocurrency gains must be reported on self-assessments

Google reviews
May 01, 2024

If you hold or invest in cryptocurrency, or even if your employer pays you in a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin, you may need to declare this on your self-assessment form. For anyone who didn’t in the 2022/23 form which should have been filed before January 31, it would be wise to get advice quickly on how to amend this error.

HMRC has urged anyone with crypto assets to declare any income or gains above the tax-free allowance on their tax return and they should have already paid any tax due. If you haven’t, you should address this as soon as you can.

When would I pay tax on cryptocurrency?

Someone may need to pay tax on cryptocurrency if a person:

  • Receives crypto assets from employment, if they’re held as part of a trade, or are involved in crypto-related activities that generate an income.
  • Sells or exchanges crypto assets, including:
    • Selling crypto assets for money.
    • Exchanging one type of crypto asset for another.
    • Using crypto assets to make purchases.
    • Gifting crypto assets to another person.
    • Donating crypto assets to charity.

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said: “People sometimes forget that information about crypto-related income and gains needs to be included in their tax return. Some people affected may not have had to do a tax return before, so it is important people check.”

How are cryptocurrencies taxed?

The way cryptocurrency is taxed will depend on how you have acquired or sold them, or whether you have given them away. For example, to check if you need to pay capital gains tax (CGT) you need to consider how much gain you have made on each transaction. The way you calculate your gain is different if you sell your tokens within 30 days of buying them.

If you got your cryptocurrency for free, then you would need to work out the gain from the market value of the asset. CGT doesn’t need to be paid on the cryptocurrency if you have paid income tax on it, but if you have made gains after receiving it, you would still need to pay CGT on any gain arising afterwards. You can find out more about how your cryptocurrency is taxed on

Although the value of cryptocurrency is very volatile, there is an event coming up in the next few weeks which in the past has resulted in Bitcoin increasing significantly in value. This event is known as the ‘halving’ which is when the reward for mining Bitcoins is cut in half. It has happened on average every four years, and results in a reduced rate at which Bitcoins are created which has in the past increased the price.

Bitcoin last halved on May 11, 2020, and the next halving is expected to happen around mid-April at the current rate of mining. If the price of Bitcoin goes up after the halving in April this time, then anyone holding Bitcoin before this may see a gain that they would need to include in the tax return.

We can help you meet your obligations

If you forgot to include cryptocurrency gains in your most recent tax return, or you want to find out more about how your cryptocurrency holdings might need to be declared to HMRC, then please get in touch with us and we can explain what you need to know.


Recent Articles

650,000 extra pensioners pay tax for the first time this month

650,000 extra pensioners pay tax for the first time this month

Around 650,000 pensioners are facing the prospect of paying tax on their pensions for the first time from this month thanks to a big boost to the State Pension from April 6, and frozen tax bands that will drag them into the tax net, according to calculations from...

The end of the P11D is expected in 2026

The end of the P11D is expected in 2026

The P11D form which has been used to process ‘benefits-in-kind’ such as loans for season tickets and company cars will no longer be used after April 2026, as HMRC will ask businesses to deal with all these benefits through the payroll instead. HMRC announced earlier...

Furnished Holiday Lettings tax rules set to change in 2025

Furnished Holiday Lettings tax rules set to change in 2025

The tax regime for Furnished Holiday Lettings (FHLs) is set to be abolished from April 6, 2025, with some key tax breaks being removed by the Chancellor in the Spring Budget on March 6 in a move which could raise as much as £300m extra in tax each year. The changes...

Ready to join us?

Whether you’re a contractor, freelancer, or small business, Bright Ideas can help remove the burden of time-consuming and complex finances. We’ll draw on our years of knowledge and experience earned helping sole traders just like you.

When you choose us, you’ll be assigned a dedicated Account Manager who’ll provide one-on-one support that’s customised to your business. Communication is key, so we’ll always answer your questions or requests as soon as we can. In fact, we offer a same-day response guarantee for emails and calls received before 3pm.

Contact us to get started

Give us a call us or send an email today!

Looking to switch accountants?
We make the transition simple.

Does your current accountant give 1-to-1 support? Are they fast and thorough?
Slap-dash services hold businesses back, so try our experts instead.

Move to an accountancy service that goes the extra mile…

Start the conversation

Let’s make your finances Brighter

Call us Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

0161 669 4221

Request a call back