Employees paid on a Thursday or Friday could face extra tax in 2024/25

Google reviews
May 22, 2024

Thousands of people in the UK who are paid weekly could find themselves making extra tax payments this year if they are paid on a Thursday or Friday. Employees paid on Thursday 4 April or Friday 5 April may need to pay extra tax as they would have received 53 payments in the 2024/25 tax year rather than 52, the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has warned.

Even those paid fortnightly or even every four weeks could also be caught in this tax trap, which may result in HMRC looking to clawback unpaid tax.

Why will these people owe more tax?

HMRC allows employers to give an additional amount of Personal Allowance to the people affected, according to the LITRG. But because of this, they will have underpaid tax based on their income for the entire tax year. So, HMRC is likely to clawback this money unless it uses its discretion to not chase smaller amounts.

For those caught who are paid every two weeks or every four weeks, the amount they would need to pay back to HMRC would be larger, which could lead to difficulties if they aren’t planning for the bill.

Meredith McCammond, Technical Officer for LITRG, said: “Where employees are paid weekly, the PAYE system is designed to assume you are paid 52 times a year. Each week, you get a 1/52 proportion of your tax-free personal allowance (£242 a week). By the end of the tax year, this means that normally you would pay the right amount of tax.

“But for years in which 53 paydays fall, as happens this year, if you are paid at the end of the week on a Thursday or Friday, the system gives you an extra £242 chunk of tax-free personal allowance.

“When HMRC later works out how much tax these employees owe for the year compared to how much has been taken off their wages, it may show that not enough tax has been paid overall. For a basic rate taxpayer, the amount would be just under £50. As it is not significant, HMRC may choose not to collect this.

“However, the amount owed could be significantly higher if you are paid fortnightly or four-weekly, with almost £100 being owed by the former and £200 by the latter. In these circumstances, it is likely HMRC will try to collect it.”

How will I know if I owe HMRC money?

At the end of each tax year, HMRC will send out what is known as a P800 which details any tax due. If you are affected by this anomaly in the 2024/25 tax year, then you would receive one of these notifications.

If you receive one, whether for this reason or any other, then you should always check with your accountant if the calculation is correct. HMRC is fallible, and it can make mistakes that cost you money. So, always double check the calculations before you make a payment to be sure that you aren’t overpaying.

If you are still employed, then your PAYE code might be adjusted to take account of the money owed during the next tax year. But if you are no longer working, then you would have to make the payment to HMRC directly. Either way, you should speak to your accountant for guidance.

To be clear, anyone who is paid on any other day of the week either weekly or fortnightly, or who is paid monthly – as opposed to every four-weeks – will not be affected by this.

We can help you

If you think you might be affected by this tax trap, then please get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you.


Recent Articles

Inheritance Tax at record levels, but Business Relief can help

Inheritance Tax at record levels, but Business Relief can help

Inheritance Tax (IHT) has reached a record level in the UK, with £7.5 billion flowing into Treasury coffers in 2023/24, up from £7.1 billion the previous tax year. One key reason for this growing tax take is rising property prices - the average house price in the UK...

Tipping Act Code of Practice to bring fairness to employees

Tipping Act Code of Practice to bring fairness to employees

Whenever you leave a tip in a restaurant or a hairdressing salon, for example, you would hope that the tip money you left will go directly to the person who provided you the service you are tipping for. But for many restaurants and other industries, that hasn’t always...

Everyone should check their tax code now

Everyone should check their tax code now

HMRC will provide new tax codes at the start of every new tax year if the Personal Allowance has changed, if someone has had a change of circumstances, including perhaps had a pay rise, and even to those who are taking their pensions for the first time. It’s important...

Ready to join us?

Whether you’re a contractor, freelancer, or small business, Bright Ideas can help remove the burden of time-consuming and complex finances. We’ll draw on our years of knowledge and experience earned helping sole traders just like you.

When you choose us, you’ll be assigned a dedicated Account Manager who’ll provide one-on-one support that’s customised to your business. Communication is key, so we’ll always answer your questions or requests as soon as we can. In fact, we offer a same-day response guarantee for emails and calls received before 3pm.

Contact us to get started

Give us a call us or send an email today!

Looking to switch accountants?
We make the transition simple.

Does your current accountant give 1-to-1 support? Are they fast and thorough?
Slap-dash services hold businesses back, so try our experts instead.

Move to an accountancy service that goes the extra mile…

Start the conversation

Let’s make your finances Brighter

Call us Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

0161 669 4221

Request a call back