Expenses Guide

Google reviews
November 30, 2014

What expenses can i claim for?

This is a question as contractor accountants that we hear a lot!

Expenses should only be claimed if they are wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business.

Expenses will vary dependant on factors such as location, sector type etc. We have compiled a list of typical expenses we would expect to see through the majority of contractors limited company’s;

* Travel & Subsistencesuch as train & bus fares, parking and food/drink (when working away).
* Mileagethe current allowable mileage allowance is 45p up to 10,000 and 25p thereafter.
* Insuranceprofessional indemnity, public liability, you will find that certain insurance must be taken out in your contract.
Pension Contributions – Paying into your pension from the company will help reduce your company’s corporation tax significantly.
* Post, Print and Stationarypretty much what it says on the tin.
* Use of homethe current allowance being £208 per annum.
* Telephoneyou are allowed one telephone contract per employee and will not incur any benefit in kind for personal use.
* Accountancy feesyou will be happy to know these are 100% tax deductible!
Eye Test – That’s right, you can claim for an eye test if you use a computer screen whilst at work.

The above is just a minority of the expenses which you may incur, you should always check with your accountant to ensure the expense is allowable.

If you incur a business expense and pay for the cost personally you can reimburse the amount from your limited company profits meaning your never out of pocket. Speak to your accountant on how to record this correctly.



Recent Articles

650,000 extra pensioners pay tax for the first time this month

650,000 extra pensioners pay tax for the first time this month

Around 650,000 pensioners are facing the prospect of paying tax on their pensions for the first time from this month thanks to a big boost to the State Pension from April 6, and frozen tax bands that will drag them into the tax net, according to calculations from...

The end of the P11D is expected in 2026

The end of the P11D is expected in 2026

The P11D form which has been used to process ‘benefits-in-kind’ such as loans for season tickets and company cars will no longer be used after April 2026, as HMRC will ask businesses to deal with all these benefits through the payroll instead. HMRC announced earlier...

Cryptocurrency gains must be reported on self-assessments

Cryptocurrency gains must be reported on self-assessments

If you hold or invest in cryptocurrency, or even if your employer pays you in a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin, you may need to declare this on your self-assessment form. For anyone who didn’t in the 2022/23 form which should have been filed before January 31, it...

Ready to join us?

Whether you’re a contractor, freelancer, or small business, Bright Ideas can help remove the burden of time-consuming and complex finances. We’ll draw on our years of knowledge and experience earned helping sole traders just like you.

When you choose us, you’ll be assigned a dedicated Account Manager who’ll provide one-on-one support that’s customised to your business. Communication is key, so we’ll always answer your questions or requests as soon as we can. In fact, we offer a same-day response guarantee for emails and calls received before 3pm.

Contact us to get started

Give us a call us or send an email today!

Looking to switch accountants?
We make the transition simple.

Does your current accountant give 1-to-1 support? Are they fast and thorough?
Slap-dash services hold businesses back, so try our experts instead.

Move to an accountancy service that goes the extra mile…

Start the conversation

Let’s make your finances Brighter

Call us Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

0161 669 4221

Request a call back