Which Business Insurance Do I Need As A Contractor?

Google reviews
July 21, 2015

We know it can be a minefield for contractors when it comes to purchasing the right insurance cover to protect you and your business. The volume of products available to you can make the whole process a little overwhelming, so we’ve set out some of the essential insurances you’ll need going forward. Read on below:


Professional indemnity insurance is designed to protect contractors against claims for negligence (such as making a mistake, or giving bad advice). It also provides cover for loss of documents, loss of data, breaches of intellectual property, as well as defamation and libel.

If you do make a mistake for which you’re responsible or are deemed to have been negligent, then professional indemnity will cover any compensation that you have to pay as a result, as well as any legal costs you’ve incurred in the process. A mistake could end up costing you tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds so it’s vitally important to have the right protection in place. It’ll also cover the cost of fixing any mistake you may have made, which could help you to avoid having a larger claim made against you.


Public liability insurance provides cover for damage to third party property or injury to third party persons, as well as covering any legal fees that may arise as a consequence of any claims you have to defend.

It allows you to go about your work safe in the knowledge that you’re covered should things happen to go wrong. Even if your contract doesn’t stipulate that having public liability is a requirement, it’s still a very good idea to make sure you hold it, as it’s a good way of mitigating any risks you might face.


Even if you don’t have any employees of your own, it’s still extremely likely that your client will require you to hold employers’ liability insurance. Most contracts are standardised and require you to have employers’ liability regardless of your situation.

It’ll also cover you if you have a spouse working for your business in some capacity, or if there is a substitution clause in your contract. It’s likely to only make up a tiny portion of the overall cost you’ll pay for your insurance, but does tick an essential box on most contracts.

It’s also highly recommended to consider an additional insurance to protect yourself if you’re injured either at work or commuting to or from work.


If you’re injured as a result of an occupational accident and are unable to work, then there’s a good chance you’ll be looking at a significant financial loss, due to the loss of your contract and any subsequent earning potential. With personal accident cover, you’ll be paid a weekly benefit whilst you recuperate. Should your accident leave you with a permanent disability, or cause your death, then a lump sum will also be paid out.

Whether you’re injured in your home office, commuting to work, or at work, in either the UK or abroad, personal accident cover will protect you, meaning you won’t have to worry about those food bills, the mortgage, or any other things you might take for granted when you’re working and earning money.

You can get all of this, alongside other benefits and years of expertise and excellent customer service, at Kingsbridge Contractor Insurance; an expert broker, specialising in a complete insurance solution for contractors. Get in touch on 01242 808740 or click here for further information.



Recent Articles

650,000 extra pensioners pay tax for the first time this month

650,000 extra pensioners pay tax for the first time this month

Around 650,000 pensioners are facing the prospect of paying tax on their pensions for the first time from this month thanks to a big boost to the State Pension from April 6, and frozen tax bands that will drag them into the tax net, according to calculations from...

The end of the P11D is expected in 2026

The end of the P11D is expected in 2026

The P11D form which has been used to process ‘benefits-in-kind’ such as loans for season tickets and company cars will no longer be used after April 2026, as HMRC will ask businesses to deal with all these benefits through the payroll instead. HMRC announced earlier...

Cryptocurrency gains must be reported on self-assessments

Cryptocurrency gains must be reported on self-assessments

If you hold or invest in cryptocurrency, or even if your employer pays you in a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin, you may need to declare this on your self-assessment form. For anyone who didn’t in the 2022/23 form which should have been filed before January 31, it...

Ready to join us?

Whether you’re a contractor, freelancer, or small business, Bright Ideas can help remove the burden of time-consuming and complex finances. We’ll draw on our years of knowledge and experience earned helping sole traders just like you.

When you choose us, you’ll be assigned a dedicated Account Manager who’ll provide one-on-one support that’s customised to your business. Communication is key, so we’ll always answer your questions or requests as soon as we can. In fact, we offer a same-day response guarantee for emails and calls received before 3pm.

Contact us to get started

Give us a call us or send an email today!

Looking to switch accountants?
We make the transition simple.

Does your current accountant give 1-to-1 support? Are they fast and thorough?
Slap-dash services hold businesses back, so try our experts instead.

Move to an accountancy service that goes the extra mile…

Start the conversation

Let’s make your finances Brighter

Call us Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

0161 669 4221

Request a call back